International Driving Permit…

International Driving Permit – U. S. Issued

Interested in renting a vehicle and driving while you are overseas?  If so, you will want to apply for an International Driving Permit.  This document is recognized in most foreign countries when accompanied by your government-issued driver’s license.  It is only available to drivers over the age of 18 and is valid for one year from the date of issue.  An IDP serves as a useful identification source as it is basically a translation of your driver’s license—in ten different languages.  As seen above, it is slightly larger in size than a U. S. passport.  You may obtain an International Driving Permit from one of two agencies in the United States—the American Automobile Association (AAA) or the National Automobile Club (NAC).  These are the only two entities authorized by the State Department.  There is a reasonable fee attached—we paid $25.00 to purchase an IDP through AAA in 2011.  You will need to take several items with you to the agency:

  • A completed IDP application (available online through AAA or NAC)
  • A valid driver’s license issued by your state DMV
  • 2 photos (must be passport-sized).
    • The backs of the photos must show your signature.
  • Payment for the applicable fee.

Foreign visitors wishing to drive in the United States may be required to have an International Driving Permit, depending upon the laws in the state(s) they intend to visit.  It is advisable to check the driving rules in that state(s).

For more info regarding obtaining an International Driving Permit in the United States, visit these links…!portal/1012/article/2815/International-Driving-Permit-IDP



So, what are you thinking?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s